Knockreer and Killarney House
The Knockreer section of Killarney National Park is within walking distance of Killarney town. This area was formerly part of the Kenmare Estate which was laid out by Valentine Brown the 3rd Viscount of Kenmare. Deenagh Lodge Tearoom dates back to1834 and was the gate lodge of the Kenmare Estate. The tearoom is a popular haunt with locals and visitors after a stroll in the park. It is located just inside Kings Bridge across from St Mary's Cathedral. Knockreer House, a short walk up the hill, is the Killarney National Park Education Centre and is built on the site of the original Killarney House which was destroyed by fire in 1913. The circular walk which is signposted offers excellent views of the Lower Lake , Tomies mountain and the McGillcuddy Reeks can be seen in the distance. On the circular walk there is pathway off to the right that leads up to the viewing point on top of the hill which provides a wonderful panorama of the surrounding countryside.
Killarney House and adjoining Gardens are also within walking distance of Killarney town and can be accessed through the Golden Gates on the N71 or from the Knokcreer area. Killarney House is closed to the public. This became the home of the Kenmare family after the original Killarney House was destroyed by firen in 1913 and was subsequently acquired by Mr John McShain before it was acquired by the Irish State as part of Killarney National Park . There is an information centre at the Gate Lodge just inside the Golden Gates which is open during the summer months.