Killarney House and adjoining Gardens are within walking distance of Killarney town and can be accessed through the Golden Gates on the N71 or from the Knockreer area. The present Killarney House started life as the stable block of Kenmare House, a French chateau style mansion, built by Valentine Browne in 1726. The original Killarney House was a magnificent 1870s mansion on the site where Knockreer House (Killarney National Park Education Centre) now stands, but it was destroyed by fire in 1913. The Browne family decided to remodel the stable block of the original house and moved into what is known today as Killarney House.
John McShain, a successful Irish-American Building contractor, was part of a syndicate which purchased the estate from Beatrice Grosvenor (niece of Browne family) in 1956. The McShain’s bought the estate outright in 1959. Over the years the estate, which included Killarney House, Ross Castle and Innisfallen Island, was generously transferred to the Irish state by the McShain family. John and Mary McShain’s daughter Sister Pauline McShain who lives in Philadelphia, PA. still takes a keen interest in Killarney House and its development.
Killarney House and Gardens have been carefully restored to their former glory and today you can enjoy a tour of the historic rooms and take in the beauty of the gardens.
Our new interpretive Exhibition will be a gateway to Killarney National Park and lead you to discover more about this beautiful landscape and our work to protect it.
Contact us at Killarney House and Gardens via phone or email:
Reception: +353 85 801 7973
General information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Booking inquiries: email@example.com
Connect with us on Facebook!
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/KillarneyNationalPark
Knockreer and The Demesne
The Knockreer section of Killarney National Park is within walking distance of Killarney town. This area was formerly part of the Kenmare Estate which was laid out by Valentine Browne the 3rd Viscount of Kenmare. Deenagh Lodge Tearoom dates back to 1834 and was the gate lodge of the Kenmare Estate. The tearoom is a popular haunt with locals and visitors after a stroll in the park. It is located just inside King’s Bridge across from St Mary’s Cathedral. Knockreer House, a short walk up the hill, is the Killarney National Park Education Centre and is built on the site of the original Killarney House which was destroyed by fire in 1913. The circular walk which is signposted offers excellent views of the Lower Lake, Tomies Mountain and the McGillycuddy Reeks can be seen in the distance. On the circular walk there is a pathway off to the right that leads up to the viewing point on top of the hill which provides a wonderful panorama of the surrounding countryside.